This may take more than one post to cover. I was late up this morning, so I’ve only just finished watching the episode and I don’t know where to start.
How to describe it without spoilers? Well, we’ve had a TNG-like episode and a Season 1 Discovery style episode recently. This episode? A hefty dose of classic Trek both with the big-alien object and a paralyzed ship and overt connections (Number One cameo) pitches the episode into familiar territory. There’s a TNG feel with a more ensemble-cast approach to how the story is told, with different story threads and interpersonal dynamics. There’s even a bit of an Orville DNA with extra work-place banter from the guy with too many sinuses. But this is Discovery and that means freaky mushroom psychedelic action and Michael Burnham having to consider killing another Star Fleet officer.
You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you may end up speaking Welsh. Discovery may have just managed to integrate all its disparate parts into one episode and its a gloriously bonkers take on Star Trek.
Also, frickin’ emotionally manipulative. Bastards. How they knew that having Tilly sing Bowie’s Space Oddity would hit me in a vulnerable spot, I don’t know.
OK, that’s as far as I can go without spoilers. There’s a metric tonne of stuff to work out about Saru that is disturbing (although we’ve known for a long time the premise for Saru’s species is disturbing). [Spoilers OK in the comments]
- An Obol for Charon – Classic Trek on a magic mushroom trip
- Point of Light – season one Discovery is back for revenge
- Brother – an action orientated fresh start for the Discovery crew
- New Eden – The Next Generation of The Next Generation
Bits and Pieces
- So we get a quick bit of retcon continuity. Those cool holograms in Season 1 Discovery – they cause technical problems on the Enterprise which is why we’ve never seen them before. A no-prize to the writer who thought of that one.
- Don’t try and think to deeply about how the universal translator works. It’s never made sense and I don’t care if the Tower of Babel bit makes sense, it was a genius scene and I loved it.
- Chief Reno is a treasure and I hope she is a regular now. The perfect foil for Stamets.
- We’ll just drill a hole in Tilly’s head. Sure, why not.
- They are just teasing us with Spock now. He’d better be in next week’s episode.
- I’m raising my opinion of Discovery to “it’s good actually” from “it has potential”