Thanks to everybody for suggestions, edits etc. A complete update of the Kerfuffle Timeline is now on the permanent page here https://camestrosfelapton.wordpress.com/the-puppy-kerfuffle-timeline/
I’ll continue to make corrections and tweaks as needed but I’m calling the story complete at this point.
This is the draft of Hugo 2016 section of the Puppy Kefuffle Timeline. Once this section is done, I’ll call the timeline done and complete. Any further events, kefuffles etc won’t be included on this timeline.
Suggestions, edits, typo-corrections all welcome. The interval between slates/lists being announced and the nominations being announced is a bit lacking in events. I haven’t included much on the 3SV and EPH+ discussions yet either.
- 2015/9/1 Initium quarti certamen parva canum tristes – The beginnings of the Sad Puppy 4 kerfuffle
- 2015/9/3 Kate Paulk starts the Sad Puppies 4 campaign – http://madgeniusclub.com/2015/09/03/introducing-sad-puppies-four-the-bitches-are-back/
- 2015/9/3 The Sad Puppy 4 site is open with a post about the new logo – http://sadpuppies4.org/2015/09/03/logo-awesomeness/
- 2015/9/7 The Sad Puppy 4 site opens recommendation pages (one per category) for people to suggest nominees in the comments. Each page has a description of the category. – http://sadpuppies4.org/2015/09/07/recommendations-pages-are-live/
- 2015/10/3 Sad Puppy 4 blog makes some cosmetic changes – http://sadpuppies4.org/2015/10/03/updates-and-tweaks/
- 2015/11/12 Kate Paulk compares critics of Sad Puppies to Nazis at Mad Genius – http://madgeniusclub.com/2015/11/12/of-the-evil-of-puppies/
- 2015/12/10 Kate Paulk announces that ‘it is time to start Sad Puppies 4 in Earnest’ at Mad Genius. She begins a series of posts on each of the major categories. – http://madgeniusclub.com/2015/12/10/itstime/
- 2015/12/11 The first of Kate Paulk’s Sad Puppy 4 Hugo category posts is published at Mad Genius. The highlighted category is Best Fan Artist. – http://madgeniusclub.com/2015/12/17/hugo-category-highlight-best-fan-artist/
- 2015/12/11 Steve Davidson at Amazing Stories announces that ‘Puppy Watch 2016 Begins’ – http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2015/12/puppy-watch-2016-begins/
- 2015/12/20 At the Sad Puppy 4 site Kate Paulk shares an email she has sent to MidamericonII (Worldcon 2016) asking to host ‘one or more panels on the history and goals of the Sad Puppies campaigns’. She promises to keep people informed of developments. – http://sadpuppies4.org/2015/12/20/email-to-midamericon-ii-programming/
- 2015/12/24 George RR Martin posts an essay on the possibility or reconciliation with the Sad Puppies. – http://grrm.livejournal.com/461206.html
- 2015/12/29 Steve Davidson is critical of George RR Martin’s hopes of reconciliation with Sad Puppies. – http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2015/12/reconciling-with-puppies-to-dream-the-impossible-dream-to-reach-the-unreachable-star/
- 2016/1/1 Steve Davidson proposes a two-week ‘moratorium’ on Sad Puppy posts so that notable puppies can consider proposals he has made regarding Sad Puppy 4. – http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2016/01/self-inflicted-puppy-moratorium/
- 2016/1/1 In response to Steve Davidson’s ‘offer’ to some notable Puppies, Kate Paulk posts a response at the Sad Puppy 4 site pointing out who is currently organising Sad Puppies 4 and detailing how Sad Puppies 4 will operate. – http://sadpuppies4.org/2016/01/01/offer-what-offer/
- 2016/1/2 At Sad Puppies 4 Kate Paulk post Steve Davidson’s email which has now sent to her directly. She again outlines the position of the Sad Puppy 4 campaign. – http://sadpuppies4.org/2016/01/02/an-amazing-update/
- 2016/1/14 At Amazing Stories, Steve Davidson explains his ‘moratorium’ has ended and outlines his current stance on the Sad Puppy 4 campaign. – http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2016/01/78452/
- 2016/1/20 Tor senior editor David G.Hartwell dies. Hartnell was a highly respected and Hugo award winning editor. – http://www.tor.com/2016/01/20/tor-books-editor-david-g-hartwell-1941-2016/
- 2016/1/22 George RR Martin posts a tribute to David G Hartwell. – http://grrm.livejournal.com/468266.html
- 2016/2/1 John C Wright also posts a tribute to David G Hartwell, who had edited some of Wright’s work. Wright quotes from and praises George R R Martin’s tribute – http://www.scifiwright.com/2016/02/george-rr-martin-remembers-david-hartwell/
- 2016/2/1 Vox Day starts a series of Rabid Puppy posts on his provisional choices for 2016 nominations. He begins with Campbell Award: Best New Writer category. – http://voxday.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/rabid-puppies-2016-best-new-writer.html
- 2016/2/16 John C Wright posts a collation of Vox Day’s recent Rabid Puppy posts saying: “In that spirit, I hereby officially announce in my capacity as the Grand Inquisitor of the Evil Legion of Evil Authors, that the following list is the recommended reading list of our Darkest Lord only, and not a voting slate. These are the recommendations of my editor, Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day, the most hated man in Science Fiction, but certainly the best editor I have had the pleasure to work with.” – http://www.scifiwright.com/2016/02/rabid-puppy-reading-list/
- 2016/2/25 Kate Paulk posts the last of her Hugo Category posts at Mad Genius (Best Novel and Campbell). She announces that she will close recommendations on February 29 and release the collated lists in mid March – http://madgeniusclub.com/2016/02/25/hugo-categories-highlight-the-big-two/
- 2016/2/25 Sad Puppies officially closes for recommendations. – http://sadpuppies4.org/2016/02/29/collation-begins/
- 2016/3/3 At Mad Genius, Kate Paulk describes the next steps in the Sad Puppy 4 campaign. – http://madgeniusclub.com/2016/03/03/the-deep-breath-before-the-dive/
- 2016/3/17 Et iterum modicum triste canibus – Once again, sad puppies
- 2016/3/17 At Mad Genius, Kate Paulk announces the collated Sad Puppy 4 lists – http://madgeniusclub.com/2016/03/17/the-list/
- 2016/3/18 Author Cat Valente objects to appearing on the SP4 list on Twitter and explains her reaction in depth on her blog – http://www.catherynnemvalente.com/when-is-a-slate-not-a-slate-or-why-is-the-puppy-sad/
- 2016/3/19 Author Alistair Reynolds objects to the inclusion of his novella ‘Slow Bullets’ on the SP4 list – http://approachingpavonis.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/slow-bullets-and-sad-puppies.html
- 2016/3/21 Vox Day publishes his finalised Rabid Puppies list. Despite appearing in the draft version, Mad Genius and Dave Freer are no longer are on the list. – http://voxday.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/rabid-puppies-2016-list.html
- 2016/3/21 DragonCon announces a new SF/F book award called the ‘Dragon Award’. – http://awards.dragoncon.org/2016/03/31/the-dragon-awards/
- 2016/4/4 Official press release for the Dragon Awards – http://mediarelations.dragoncon.org/2016/04/06/dragon-awards-to-recognize-excellence-in-fiction-comics-gaming-tv-and-movies/#more-1682
- 2016/4/26 Rabidi canes, praemia belli – Rabid dogs and the prizes of war
- 2016/4/26 2016 Hugo Finalists Announced, many finalists are from the Rabid Puppy list – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/04/2016-hugo-award-finalists-announced/
- 2016/4/26 Blog Nerds of a Feather discusses giving up on the Hugos due to the repeated actions of Rabid Puppies – http://www.nerds-feather.com/2016/04/hugopocalypse-ii-where-do-we-go-from.html
- 2016/4/26 David Van Dyke posts his reaction to his story being nominated saying: “I’m apolitical about the whole Hugo process and on nobody’s side. I just submitted a story to one of the grand masters of military sci-fi and it got picked up for the anthology, and then nominated. That’s it. No investment in puppies, kitties, gerbils, tortoises or other animals. “ – http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,234899.msg3272548.html#msg3272548
- 2016/4/26 At ‘Flayrah: furry food for thought’, Brendan Kachel discusses the Rabid Puppy nomination of ‘My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’ saying: “Looks like the ponies are actually Trojan horses. For puppies.” – https://www.flayrah.com/6549/my-little-pony-friendship-magic-episodes-nominated-2016-hugo-awards-part-rabid-puppies-slate
- 2016/4/26 Lois McMasters Bujold comments that “As a point of information, “Penric’s Demon” was conscripted onto the “Rabid Puppies” slate without my notification or permission, and my request that it be removed was refused.” – https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/10319292-penric-s-demon-is-a-hugo-nominee
- 2016/4/26 John Scalzi discusses the Hugo nominations, the Puppy campaigns and Neil Gaiman at the LA Times – http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-john-scalzi-hugo-award-nominations-20160426-story.html
- 2016/4/26 Jerry Pournelle posts his reaction to being nominated for a Hugo quoting himself as saying “Money will get you through times of no Hugo’s much better than Hugo’s will get you through times of no money,” – https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/manic-hugo-nomination-trump-roman-ice-age-after-roman-warm-and-many-other-important-matters/
- 2016/4/26 Thomas Mays declines the nomination for his story ‘The Commuter’ because of his misgivings about the Rabid Puppy slate: “But, now that all hopes for a clean nomination are dashed, it is my turn to speak: Rather than eat a shit sandwich, I choose to get up from the table. “ – https://improbableauthor.com/2016/04/26/regarding-my-2016-hugo-award-nomination/
- 2016/4/26 File 770 documents the possible impact of the slates on the nominations – http://file770.com/?p=28616
- 2016/4/27 Amanda S Green posts a defence of Sad Puppies 4 at her blog Nocturnal Lives – http://nocturnal-lives.com/?p=1955
- 2016/4/27 Larry Correia posts his reaction to the Hugo nominations saying: “All I can really say to the CHORFs is that they had a chance to deal with people like me or Brad, but instead they decided to be a bunch of pricks and hand out wooden assholes while block voting No Award. In the process they insulted disgruntled fans, and proved that they were a bunch of cliquish elitists just like I’d said they were to begin with. “ – http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/04/27/on-the-hugo-award-announcement/
- 2016/4/27 Salon publishes an article entitled: Sci-fi’s Tea Party trolls go to war: Battle over prestigious Hugo Awards heats up – http://www.salon.com/2016/04/27/sci_fis_tea_party_trolls_go_to_war_battle_over_prestigious_hugo_awards_heats_up/
- 2016/4/27 Alyssa Wong posts her reaction being nominated for the Campbell Award for Best New Writer: “There is no way in hell I’m withdrawing. The fact is, in spite of the Rabid Puppies attempts to lock people like me out of the finalists list through slate voting, some truly deserving folks and their works who weren’t on their slate slipped onto the list anyway “ – http://crashwong.net/post/143533874133/toe-the-line-on-being-a-2016-john-w-campbell
- 2016/4/27 Brandon Sanderson posts his reaction to his novella being nominated. His post discusses the Sad Puppy campaign in terms of his issues with it. – http://brandonsanderson.com/hugo-awards-2016/
- 2016/4/27 George RR Martin posts an article entitled ‘The Puppy Wars Resume’. He praises the steps Kate Paulk made to reform Sad Puppies 4. – http://grrm.livejournal.com/483848.html
- 2016/4/27 Vox Day posts his round up of reactions to the Hugo nominations with a blog post whose title echoes Donald Trump’s campaign slogan. – http://voxday.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/making-hugos-great-again.html
- 2016/4/27 Eric Flint appeals for calm in reaction to the nominations “ This time around—remember, it’s 2016, not 2015—don’t hyperventilate, don’t work yourself up into a frenzy, don’t overact. Just treat the nominations the same way you would in any other year. Ignore who nominated who because, first, it’s irrelevant; and secondly, if you do you will be falling for a hustle by an idiot like Beale—which makes you an even bigger idiot.” – http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2016/04/27/but-for-wales/
- 2016/4/27 Lauren Sarner profiles the 2016 Hugo nominations and interviews metafictional author of metafictional gay erotica Chuck Tingle – https://www.inverse.com/article/14881-is-chuck-tingle-and-his-hugo-nominated-dinosaur-erotica-a-sad-puppies-plant
- 2016/4/28 Jim C Hines posts ‘A Few Hugo Requests’ outlining his reaction to the on-going kerfuffle as a series of points including ‘Don’t be an abusive doucheweasel’ – http://www.jimchines.com/2016/04/a-few-hugo-requests/
- 2016/4/28 At Rocket Stack Rank, Greg Hullender posts an analysis of how Puppy voting played out in 2016 – http://www.rocketstackrank.com/2016/04/analysis-of-slate-voting-for-2016-hugos.html?utm_content=buffer8792d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- 2016/4/28 Tony C Smith of ‘Tales to Terrify’ podcast posts his reaction to being nominated and discovering they had been part of the Rabid Puppy slate: “Still reeling from the sheer shock and disappointment, we just wanted to let our listeners and the science fiction community know that we did not know we were on the Rabid Puppies slate.” – http://talestoterrify.com/how-our-2016-hugo-nomination-became-a-real-tale-to-terrify/
- 2016/4/28 Alastair Reynolds posts his reaction to his novella being nominated, explaining his mixed feelings and unhappiness with being included in the SP4 list – http://approachingpavonis.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/slow-bullets-on-hugo-ballot.html
- 2016/4/28 Kevin Standlee proposes a Three Stave Voting process for the Hugo awards – http://kevin-standlee.livejournal.com/1560332.html
- 2016/4/29 John C Wright complains about press coverage of the Rabid Puppies – http://www.scifiwright.com/2016/04/we-also-call-them-morlocks/#more-15729
- 2016/4/30 Spacefaring Kitten posts a round up of reactions to the Hugo nominations – https://sfkittens.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/rabid-puppy-finalists-reactions-compiled/
- 2016/4/30 Steve Davidson at Amazing stories asks people to ‘vote their conscience’ in response to the impact of Rabid Puppies on the nominations – http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2016/04/vote-your-conscience/
- 2016/4/30 Mike Glyer calls for suggestions of articles to include in File 770’s Hugo Packet contribution – http://file770.com/?p=28726
- 2016/5/6 Cat Pictures Please’ replaces ‘The Commuter’ and ‘Lady Business’ replaces ‘Black Gate’ on the Hugo ballot due to people withdrawing – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/05/two-2016-hugo-award-finalists-withdraw-replacements-named/
- 2016/5/16 Voting opens for the 2016 Hugo Awards – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/05/voting-open-for-2016-hugo-awards/
- 2016/6/12 Larry Correia encourages his readers to nominate for the Dragon Awards. “So if you’ve not already, go click that link and nominate your favorite things. Let’s flood this sucker! Tell your friends. Share the link. Spread the word.” – http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/07/12/wrongfans-unite-only-a-week-left-to-nominate-for-the-dragon-awards/
- 2016/6/14 The Hugo Packet is made available. Due to the themes and adult nature of some of the content, there are additional warnings. – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/06/hugo-voter-packets-available/
- 2016/6/15 George RR Martin encourages people to nominate works for the Dragon Awards. – http://grrm.livejournal.com/493818.html
- 2016/7/31 Hugo 2016 voting closes – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/08/2016-hugo-award-voting-closed-july-31/
- 2016/8/12 Final voting for the Dragon Award begins. Nominees include many Sad Puppy and Rabid Puppy associated works but also other works. – http://mediarelations.dragoncon.org/2016/08/12/vote-for-the-dragon-con-awards/#more-1940
- 2016/8/13 iO9 covers the Dragon Award nomination announcement calling them ‘(mostly) puppy free’ – http://io9.gizmodo.com/dragoncon-releases-mostly-puppy-free-nominations-for-1785245629
- 2016/8/14 Larry Correia responds to iO9 coverage of Dragon Awards calling it a ‘Bullshit Headline’ – http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/08/15/io9-shoves-its-head-mostly-up-its-own-ass/
- 2016/8/16 Dragon Award trophy is revealed. – http://mediarelations.dragoncon.org/2016/08/28/2045/
- 2016/8/20 The 2016 Hugo Awards are announced. The Fifth Season by N K Jemisin wins best novel. Cat Pictures Please wins best Short Story, Space Raptor Butt Invasion comes third after No Award. Works from Vox Day’s Castalia House are consistently beaten by No Award. – http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/08/2016-hugo-awards-announced/
- 2016/8/21 EPICINIUM – Aftermath
- 2016/9/5 Dragon Award winners announced: Larry Coreia wins best Fantasy Novel, John C Wright wins best Science Fiction novel. – http://mediarelations.dragoncon.org/2016/09/05/dragon-awards-winners-announced/#more-2061
The previous part (Prelude and Prologue) is here https://camestrosfelapton.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/very-draft-kerfuffle-timeline-prelude-to-kerfufflation/ Thanks for the feedback and I’m fixing things up.
Same caveats apply.
This is literally a narrative as it is a story shown over time with a plot and complications but it is also a subjective mapping of headspace. It looks more serious than my map but the same caveats apply – it is how I perceive the kerfuffle and while it is made out of truthful bricks (I believe) the structure itself is a fabricated thing. Same warnings about false balance apply and also the timeline has the issue of stirring up old arguments.
Suggestions and corrections are welcome within the limit of not wanting to re-kerfuff old kerfuffles and certainly not wanting to re-open old wounds.
Major sources: Mike Glyer’s puppy round ups ( http://file770.com/?page_id=22881), Jim C Hines’s article http://www.jimchines.com/2015/06/puppies-in-their-own-words/ , The Hugo Awards blog http://www.thehugoawards.org/, and the blogs of Larry Correia, Vox Day, Brad Torgersen and John C Wright.
Continue reading Kerfuffle Timeline Part 2: The First Act
urrggghhh it is like a box of recursive kerfuffles. An attempt map out a timeline has got plagued with having to keep going back to prior to 2015 to include things that people refer back to during the kerfuffle. So to answer why ‘rabid’ or why ‘evil league of evil’ and so on we have to search back to the theft of the Silmarils or the landing of the Fir Bolg.
So firstly – this IS a narrative. It is literally a narrative as it is a story shown over time with a plot and complications but it is also a subjective mapping of headspace. It looks more serious than my map but the same caveats apply – it is how I perceive the kerfuffle and while it is made out of truthful bricks (I believe) the structure itself is a fabricated thing. Same warnings about false balance apply and also the timeline has the issue of stirring up old arguments.
Suggestions and corrections are welcome within the limit of not wanting to re-kerfuff old kerfuffles and certainly not wanting to re-open old wounds.
Major sources: Mike Glyer’s puppy round ups ( http://file770.com/?page_id=22881), Jim C Hines’s article http://www.jimchines.com/2015/06/puppies-in-their-own-words/ and for some early stuff Sl Huang’s Timleine of SFWA controversies http://www.slhuang.com/blog/2013/07/02/a-timeline-of-the-2013-sfwa-controversies/ and naturraly the blogs of Larry Correia, Vox Day, Brad Torgersen and John C Wright.
Continue reading Very draft: Kerfuffle timeline – Prelude to Kerfufflation