This is how my final votes broke down for categories some key categories.*
Novel: This was a set of three pairs. The overall order of those pairs was clear to me but the order within those pairs wasn’t.
- Spinning Silver
- The Calculating Stars
- Space Opera
- Revenant Gun
- Trail of Lightning
- Record of a Spaceborn Few
- No award
Novella: whattttt…something beat Murderbot? Sure, sentient spaceship ina Holmes pastiche managed to take the lead on the final spot. Forgive me Murderbot! Actually another set of three pairs.
- The Tea Master and the Detective
- Artificial Condition
- The Black God’s Drums
- Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
- Beneath the Sugar Sky
- Binti: The Night Masquerade
Novelette: This was the hardest-in-a-good-way category. The rather sentimental “If at First…” was briefly 1 and then I had a look again at “The Only…” and remembered why I assumed it would win from when I first read it. Good grief this was a strong category this year. If anyone of these win I will nod sagely and say “of course, obviously”.
- The Only Harmless Great Thing
- “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections”
- “If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again”
- “The Thing About Ghost Stories”
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth”
- “When We Were Starless”
Short Story: In the end STET delivered the inventiveness I crave. Looking now I’d change the order of some of these. I should have put “…Raptor Sisters…” higher but I think I double guessed myself because I’m on a dinosaur binge at the moment so down rated it because I decided I was overrating it [cue self-referential spiral].
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington”
- “The Court Magician”
- “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society”
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”
- “The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat”
Editor Long: every Hugo voter has to have a category they hate vote in – it’s in the rules and a long tradition. “184.108.40.206 Members will pick one category in which they hate vote ‘No Award’ out of frustration with their dislike of the category.” You can’t argue with the rules. Sorry.
- No award
Fan Writer: The thing with the ‘name’ categories is I feel like a shit putting anybody 6th. I can’t give an explanation for this ordering and the more I look at it the 1 and 2 places are mainly ‘I hadn’t read much of these two people prior’ so they were new and shiny to me. All creditable winners — the eligibility question of some pieces I put to one side.**
- Alasdair Stuart
- Elsa Sjunneson-Henry
- Foz Meadows
- James Davis Nicoll
- Bogi Takács
- Charles Payseur
*[For security reasons I’ve swapped some choices round in a few places so as to no leave a virtual signature but only when the rank was arbitrary i.e. 50/50 could have gone the other way]
**[It is was it is. Fixing it is the issue.]