Some loose ends from yesterday’s post on the gazumping of ComicsGate:
- I said that Vox Day had trademarked the term — I was incorrect. Actually, he is saying the term isn’t trademarkable (which isn’t exactly true either as he is using it as a brand for a set of products).
- Ethan Van Sciver is threatening legal action against Vox Day as Van Sciver claims the term is his because he uses it as a name for some of his YouTube stuff. That doesn’t sound like he’d get very far with any legal action.
- Various rightwing social media “personalities” who have for years conveniently forgotten to mention that Vox Day supports violent extremism magically discovered this yesterday.
- Yup, it’s remarkable how another movement that’s happy to have Vox Day and his supporters involved only suddenly spot his support for mass murderer once Day screws them over commercially.
- And while we are indulging in the schadenfreude lets note that GamerGate, Sad Puppies, and now ComicsGate have each in turn had to distance themselves from Vox Day because of his action — yet the right of SF still thinks it was a terrible injustice that the SFWA expelled him. Every year that specific move by the SFWA looks smarter and smarter 🙂