Some mechanism for a teleporter.
- Digitise-store-transmit-store-reconstitute. Teleporters in this case are fax machines. The thing to teleport is digitised (destructively so there isn’t a copy), stored in the ‘buffer’ transmitted as energy, and reconstituted at the other end. Philosophically interesting and great for thought experiments.
- Transformed-transmitted-transformed. Like the first example but more analog. The matter you are made from can (somehow) change states without losing information. The teleported thing transforms states into energy, is transmitted and then collapses back into its normal state. It’s basically very similar to the first but with a sense that the photons (or whatever) are still you are your stuff, so there is an on-going continuity. Energy beings can do this naturally.
- Transport only your consciousness, transmit into clone or robot bodies somewhere else. Obviously has a potential duplication issue. Seems a lot like demonic possession the more you think about it.
- Quantum tunnelling. Fundamental particles can do this so why can’t you? There’s a chance that you might be somewhere else and so sometimes you are somewhere else. Requires messing with the fundamentals of probability.
- A wormhole/portal. You physically move but through a piece of space that is a shortcut. The implication is that places in space ae all physically closer than they appear.
- Up into one dimension, travel a bit, then back down again. Similar to wormhole but instead of going through you go out and back in again. There’s a similar view of space as there is with the wormhole but the method is conceptually different. Think of the wormhole as finding a secret passage between two rooms in a house and think of the dimensions as jumping out of a window in one room so you are outside of the house, walking around the house and then jumping back in through a different window.
- Force two different points in space together for an instant and then move slightly and then the two bits of space snap back (taking you with them). I know this sounds like the wormhole but it is different. With the wormhole the two points stay where they are and a route is created that somehow connects them.
- Hack reality and rewrite your coordinates in the operating system of the universe. Works best in a virtual reality.
- Stay still and move the universe (how space travel works in Futurama).
- Time Travel. For you this does not act like teleportation but for an observe, you can disappear from one place and reappear somewhere else.
- Travel really quickly, Again, not really teleporting but this could look like teleporting to an observer.
- Have a twin sibling who appears when you hide (spoiler for some movie or other). Again not teleportation but you can convince a rival that it is.
- For a brief moment, be everywhere and then limit yourself to one place again.
- On that same theme but more specifically, be the universe and your physical body is just a tiny manifestation of yourself. Reabsorb that manifestation and instantiate it somewhere else.
That’s all I’ve got. I like the one where you move into a higher dimension and then re-enter the world somewhere else.