It has been brought to my attention that an author is claiming that they are considering legal action against me in the event of them being targetted in connection with attendance at a convention. The exact statement is a little hard to parse, but the author seems to be under the impression that I’m responsible for or connected with various cases of disinvitation of rightwing science fiction authors from conventions.
I don’t want to take this too seriously but we live in a strange world and people do strange things. So just to be clear:
- I have never lobbied any convention or convention organisers to ban, disinvite, or remove somebody.
- I haven’t encouraged anybody else to lobby any convention or convention organisers to ban, disinvite, or remove somebody.
- I have discussed cases of when a convention has done so but generally after the fact and in a few cases primarily to get information.
- I’ve also discussed more generally the practice and processes around such decisions.
- I do not believe I have ever defamed a living person on this blog or elsewhere – or even come close to doing so.
However, said author really does genuinely seem to have some concerns about me and this blog and frankly I don’t want to see anybody unduly agitated just because I’m writing. So, as of today, I won’t be discussing this author here or elsewhere on the net – this way the said author can feel assured that if they do experience any adverse experiences on social media or in relation to convention attendance then I played no part in it. As well as not discussing the said author, I shall not be mentioning them either. I note from early past interactions, this author was also concerned about social media and blogging presence even though I had only ever listed their books and author name in wider contexts. Again, to protect this author I won’t be mentioning their name or books so that they can be assured that even neutral coverage is not some underhanded way of me signalling discontent. Finally, I note that a past post of mine in relation to a new science-fiction body may have caused this author some concern. Consequently, I shan’t be discussing that body either – again to ensure that the author in question need not feel any undue concern.
Yes, some may think it odd that champions of free speech would be so keen to ensure some people didn’t speak but that’s a whole other question.
Now, to aid you all in this and to ensure that the said author need not fear any negativity about them here, I have also (to provide them with the protection they need) added their name to a list of words that will move comments into moderation.
Hopefully this will enable the said author feel more safe.