Are dead people voting in the US elections? No. At least not in any significant numbers.
Former mayor of New York, Rudy Guilliani is reported as saying “I’m sorry, dead people generally vote for Democrats rather than Republicans,” http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/16/trump_escalates_rigged_election_rhetoric_as_giuliani_warns_of_inner_cities.html
Oh, if only I had some way of checking this using sources that Republicans would regard as reliable! Oh, wait, I do! Back to the Heritage Foundation ‘database’ and let’s see how many dead people have been voting.
Oh, wait, I do! Back to the Heritage Foundation ‘database’ and let’s see how many dead people have been voting…
Not many, is the answer, about 30 at most in a database that mainly covers this century and a wide variety of election. The biggest example was from the New York Police, as a demonstration that it was possible as part of an operation – I haven’t counted that as an actual case of dead people voting. I have included the voter registration examples that came up but there is no actual indication that these dead people voted. Most of the clear cases of the dead voting are cases of somebody voting on behalf of a recently deceased near relatives (some quite touchingly). The funniest one was a case of identity theft in which the guy also registered as a voter as part and parcel of getting a drivers license.
Here are all the cases I could find. The number at the start represents the number of actual dead people that may have voted.
- 1 California …absentee ballot deceased father in law http://www.kclu.org/2015/10/29/ventura-county-man-sentenced-to-probation- after-officials-say-he-voted-twice-in-election/
- 0 Illinois …phony signatures on petitions to get state Senator Terry Link on the 2008 Democratic primary ballot. These phony signatures included the names of deceased voters. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-08-14/news/0808131160_1_signatures- petitions-forgery
- 4 Mississippi convicted on 10 counts of fraudulently casting absentee ballots for voting in the names of 10 people, 4 of them deceased. http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/29/mississippi-naacp-leader-sent-to-prison-for-10- counts-of-voter-fraud/
- 0 New York Undercover New York City Department of Investigation (DOI) agents testing the integrity of New York City elections were able to vote 61 times out of 63 attempts using the names of inelligible voters, known felons, and deceased city residents. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doi/downloads/pdf/2013/dec%2013/BOE%20Unit%20 Report12-30-2013.pdf
- 2 Oregon …using the identities of his deceased son and brother to cast multiple ballots http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/01/elderly_man_sentenced_for_ voti.html
- 2 Tennessee …conspired to cast at least three falsified votes – two of them in the name of deceased voters – as part of a scheme to favor State Senate candidate Ophelia Ford http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/local-news/judge-lets-air-details-of-fraud
- 1 Tennessee …attempting to vote in the name of her deceased sister https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/396665/tennessee- 14th-judicial-district-with-case.pdf
- 1 Washington …cast a ballot for his recently-deceased wife in the 2004 general election. http://www.seattletimes.com/politics/two-plead-guilty-to-voting-twice-in-2004- general-election/
- 1 Wisconsin …registered 70 voters for the 2008 election, only 16 of those registrations contained accurate information, and at least one contained the information of a deceased voter http://mediatrackers.org/wisconsin/2011/01/27/the-faces-of-fraud-frank-walton
- 1 Georgia …at least one ballot being cast in the name of a dead person. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1997/12/09/met_218766.shtml
- 1 Iowa …tried to steal the identity of his dead brother in order to secure a driver’s license. As part of his identity theft scheme, registered to vote. When he was stopped for suspected drunk driving, the police learned his real identity. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2013/12/16/guilty-pleas- resolve-all-five-voter-fraud-convictions-in-iowa/4037125/
- 13 Missouri …13 of the voter registration cards she submitted were made out in the names of dead former city aldermen. http://www.semissourian.com/story/1146533.html [case appears twice for two different convictions]
- 1 North Carolina When her husband passed away, decided to honor his last request – to vote for Mitt Romney in the 2012 election. Months after his death, filled out and submitted an absentee ballot in her husband’s name. http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/woman-charged-fulfilling-husbands- dying-wish-votin/njGhH/
- 1 Ohio after admitting that she cast an absentee ballot in the name of the late [nun], who had died one month before the election. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/nun-voter- fraud/2087893/